Team Leadership Role – Race Captain
The Race Captain role is specific to one racing event AND a separate Race Captain is recommended for each Machestic Dragon team participating the event. The Captain’s responsibility is to take care of the team at the event and should be available to the team at all times (excluding time for Captains’ meetings, interface with race officials, other official business, and reasonable breaks for meals and personal needs-then the Race Coordinator will stand in).
1. Submit (preferably by email) the Team Leadership Role Request Form and receive confirmation from a Board Member of appointment of Race Captain. Race Captain requests should be well in advance of a race date, at the beginning of the season if possible.
2. Works with Race Coordinator to ensure the team is registered and paid as needed (through the treasurer). Contact the Board President for further guidance or referral to another board member.
3. Works with Race Coordinator to ensure that paddlers are recruited and critical roles are filled as needed—drummer, steerer, etc. and be fully familiar with the rules of the race venue which should be posted on the race event website.
4. Assists the coach in determining seating in the boat; keeps seating chart and assigns seats.
5. Works with Race Coordinator to keep team informed of any info needed before the day of race. For example, projected starting times of first race and number, projected scheduling, and distance of races included in the event.
6. On race day, registers the team, completes the roster form and collects waivers as required by the event and distributes the team participant wristbands. (NOTE-Waivers may be completed electronically).
7. Attends race day morning captain’s meeting (with the coach) and communicates all pertinent information to the team such as location of First Aid Station and other pertinent safety information, in particular the inclement weather procedure.
8. Sets team meeting times for the day and facilitates pre-race team meetings. One initial meeting, then meet 15 minutes prior to marshalling for each race.
9. Designates person(s) to lead warm-up and stretching activities prior to each race event.
10. Follows the coached (practiced) race day strategy with strokers, drummer and steerer.
12. Ensures team gets to marshaling on time and oversees line up and boarding of the boat.
13. Facilitates de-briefing following each race heat assuring all team members have an opportunity to share. Provide positive and constructive feedback.
15. Relax, have fun… this is not a hard job and when partnered with a coordinator and the coach, it is a great learning experience!
To be considered for this position, please complete the Machestic Dragon Team Leadership Role Request Form